LOVE YOURSELF adopts the Better Chicken Commitment for 100% of the chicken (fresh/frozen/processed) in their entire European supply chain and will meet all the standards in it by 2026 at the latest.
Love Yourself strives to encourage healthy lifestyles. We've always taken pride in sourcing only the best meat and produce, from all our suppliers; and will continue to do so, to ensure Love Yourself’s quality is always reflected in our food. Signing on to the Better Chicken Commitment is the natural next step to Love Yourself commitment to bringing you quality poultry.
“We believe all animals and life deserve respect. As many of us humans are predominately omnivores, the least we can do is support the life of our farmed livestock in a humane way.
What is also increasingly evident, is we are what we eat. If we eat animals that are stressed physically and mentally, this will have adverse effects on our own wellbeing.
To really Love Yourself, we must have respect for all living creatures of our planet. Change does not come over night, but by improving even 10% year on year, it will have profound impact on the future.” – Wojtek Kolan, Love Yourself CEO
Love Yourself will continue to pursue positive change in this effect, and keeping in line with the Better Chicken Commitment, encourage our suppliers to do the same.
By 2026, Love Yourself will require our suppliers to meet the following requirements for 100%
of the [fresh, frozen, and processed] chicken in our supply chain:
- Comply with all EU animal welfare laws and regulations, regardless of the country of production.
- Implement a maximum stocking density of 30kg/m2 or less. Thinning is discouraged and if practiced must be limited to one thin per flock.
- Adopt breeds that demonstrate higher welfare outcomes: either the following breeds, Hubbard Norfolk Black, JA757, 787, 957, or 987, Rambler Ranger, Ranger Classic, and Ranger Gold, or others that meet the criteria of the RSPCA Broiler Breed Welfare Assessment Protocol.
- Meet improved environmental standards including:
- At least 50 lux of light, including natural light.
- At least two metres of usable perch space, and two pecking substrates, per 1,000 birds.
- On air quality, the maximum requirements of Annex 2.3 of the EU broiler directive, regardless of stocking density.
- No cages or multi-tier systems
- Adopt controlled atmospheric stunning using inert gas or multi-phase systems, or effective electrical stunning without live inversion.
- Demonstrate compliance with the above standards via third-party auditing and annual public reporting on progress towards this commitment.
Electrical water bath stunning is the main method used globally for the slaughter of poultry. There are however, significant animal welfare concerns with this method and in 2012 the European Food Safety Authority called for an end to its use (1) Effective electric alternatives are yet to be developed. However, recognising that under halal standards, Controlled Atmosphere Systems may not be acceptable as the animal must not be dead at the time of slaughter (cutting), it is vital that a stunning method which renders the animal insensible to pain, but still alive, is developed and adopted as soon as possible -
We Love Yourself agree to:
- Actively press our suppliers and support the latest research projects (2) to find humane alternatives to the electrical water bath as a matter of urgency.
- Support the call for the use of water bath stunning to be banned by 2026, and new, humane systems for the effective electric stunning of poultry without conscious inversion to be developed and commercially available by no later than 1st January 2026.
- Be prepared to invest and adopt humane alternatives when commercially available
1: ESFA 2012 report, page 35
2: by engaging with the Effective Electrical Stunning roundtable convened by Compassion in World Farming